Monday, October 1, 2012

School Lunches for $2!


For a while now I've gone by the rule of either making my son's school lunch the night before... but I would always be too tired so it turned into making it the next morning, which would sometimes lead to giving my son $2.50 for a school lunch that he would barely eat sometimes!

What's a mom to do?
My son loves PBJ sandwiches. For a while I bought the uncrustables for him which left a huge dent in my wallet... I think I was paying around $5 a box. Then I figured out I could just make my own!  DUH!!! Why did it take me so long to figure that out?!

I bought a sandwich cutter at the dollar store that is in the shape of a star. I dedicate one day to hammer out a few weeks worth of sandwiches, throw them into baggies and freeze!  I portion out chips into baggies The night before, or even the morning of, I just toss the sandwich along with the pre bagged chips and a snack into his lunch bag and put it in the fridge.

$ Cost $
$1.99 Loaf of bread
$3.99 Large jar of jelly (lasts over a month!
$3.99 Large jar of peanut butter (lasts over a month!)
$3.99 bag of chips (sometimes I stock up when they're on sale for 2/ $5)
 $1.99 Gummie snacks (sometimes I get them for $.50 a box when on sale)
Juice $4.99
14 day supply of school lunches for under $2 a lunch!








0 comments:

Post a Comment